REC2+ for Aspirant Guides/Leaders - December 14-16, 2023
The REC2+ is a comprehensive preparatory course for backcountry leaders and aspirant guides.
Course space is limited to 6 participants.
Completed AS REC1+ or equivalent.
Able to ski powder snow and familiar with ski touring (on skis or split-board).
Ski tour 4 consecutive days for a cumulative total of up to 8,000 vertical feet.
4 days of fieldwork and backcountry ski touring at Mores Creek Summit, Idaho City.
3-hour interactive classroom session with an instructor.
8-hours online video and multimedia material.
REC2+ Course modules:
Learning Outcomes for RESCUE Module:
- Conduct transceiver functional verification at the trailhead.
- Understanding of the value and the function of avalanche rescue equipment.
- Demonstrate the operation of a transceiver/beacon.
- Demonstrate professional-level probing techniques.
- Become a reliable avalanche rescue companion.
- Comfortable executing avalanche single victim rescues with a team.
- Competent rescuer during two victims' avalanche scenarios.
- Demonstrate or identify the steps necessary to be able to complete a two-avalanche victim rescue in less than FIVE (5) minutes in a 50x50 meter area.
- Effective communication during avalanche rescues.
- Capable of generating Emergency Response Plans.
- Internalize that an avalanche incident is a medical emergency, and develop familiarity with potential injuries and potential medical issues common on buried avalanche victims.
- Develop awareness about the value of WFA/WFR/OEC/WEMT training.
Learning Outcomes for the Level 2 module:
- Recognize avalanche terrain, develop a systematic method for avalanche risk assessment, and execute safe travel plans.
- Science of snow crystals, metamorphism, and slab avalanche fracture mechanics.
- Understand the impact of weather on the snowpack. Track precipitation, wind, and temperature critical thresholds driving stability.
- Reliable identification of slab and weak layer structures in snow pits. Characterize snowpack structure reactivity with basic stability tests.
The REC2+ is also preparatory course for the next professional developmental step; the AAA PRO1.