REC2+ and PRO1 preparation Course February 6-9, 2020
This is a 4-day Avalanche Science REC2+ course. The REC2+ is a comprehensive preparatory course for the next professional developmental step; the AAA PRO1.
It is NOT a private course. Each participant register individually.
This course includes the AAA Avalanche Level 2 and the NEW AAA Rescue modules integrated into Avalanche Science's 4-day REC2+ course.
Course space is limited. Register ASAP to reserve your space. Avalanche Science courses are closed with 6 participants.
Prerequisite: Able to ski powder snow and familiar with ski touring (on skis or split-board) equipment.
Pre-course material: 4-hour online
Course Format: 32 hours (4-day). One day of the classroom with three days of fieldwork and backcountry ski touring.
REC2+ Course didactical modules:
Learning Outcomes for RESCUE Module:
- Conduct transceiver functional verification at the trailhead.
- Understanding of the value and the function of avalanche rescue equipment.
- Demonstrate operation of a transceiver/beacon.
- Demonstrate professional level probing techniques.
- Become a reliable avalanche rescue companion.
- Comfortable executing avalanche single victim rescues with a team.
- Competent rescuer during two-victims avalanche scenarios.
- Demonstrate or identify the steps necessary to be able to complete a two-avalanche victim rescue in less than 7 minutes in a 50x50 meter area.
- Effective communication during avalanche rescues.
- Capable of generating Emergency Response Plans.
- Internalize that an avalanche incident is a medical emergency, and develop familiarity with potential injuries and potential medical issues common on buried avalanche victims.
- Develop awareness about the value of WFA/WFR/OEC/WEMT training.
Learning Outcomes for the Level 2 module:
- Recognize avalanche terrain, develop a systematic method for avalanche risk assessment, and execute safe travel plans.
- Science of snow crystals, metamorphism, and slab avalanche fracture mechanics.
- Understand the impact of weather in the snowpack. Track precipitation, wind, and temperature critical thresholds driving stability.
- Reliable identification of slab and weak layer structures in snow pits. Characterize snowpack structure reactivity with basic stability tests.
The REC2+ is a comprehensive preparatory course for the next professional developmental step; the AAA PRO1.