INTRO to Backcountry Riding for Split-boarders (December 29-30, 2022)
This product is designed for newcomers to the backcountry. The pace is relaxed and participants get to learn about best areas at Mores Creek Summit to safely ride powder.
This course is designed and tailored for split boarders.
Participants learn the fundamentals of safe travel in avalanche terrain. Avalanche companion rescue is included.
This is not an Avalanche Science REC1 or REC1+ course.
This two-day course includes two modules; Identification of Avalanche Terrain and Companion Rescue.
Able to ski powder snow and familiar with ski touring (on skis or split-board).
Ski tour 2 consecutive days for a cumulative total of 4,000 vertical feet.
2 days of fieldwork and backcountry ski touring at Mores Creek Summit, Idaho City.
2-hour interactive classroom session with an instructor.
4-hours online video and multimedia material.
- introduction to companion rescue.
- Safe travel in avalanche terrain; protocols, rituals, and human factors.
- Recognize avalanche terrain and the role of slope angles.
- Effective utilization of institutional avalanche forecasts.
- Become familiarized with avalanche formation and release fundamentals.
- Understand the impact of critical weather factors in the snowpack.
- Identification of slab and weak layer structures in snow pits. Characterize snowpack structure reactivity with basic reactivity tests.
- Enjoy winter touring and riding at Mores Creek Summit.