NRCS Avi L1 And Companion Rescue
AIARE 1 Avalanche Course Module
- Develop a plan for travel in avalanche terrain.
- Demonstrate the ability to identify avalanche terrain.
- Effectively use the decision-making framework to make terrain choices in a group setting.
- Avalanche types and their characteristics.
- Introduction to how avalanches form and release.
- Trip planning and preparation.
- Gathering relevant avalanche, snowpack, and weather observations.
- Avalanche terrain recognition, route assessment, and selection.
- Travel techniques, group management, and risk reduction.
- Teamwork and communication as effective measures to mitigate human factors during each stage of planning and decision making.
AIARE Avalanche Rescue
- Train backcountry travelers in Avalanche Rescue skills
- Increase participant likelihood of survival in an avalanche
- Emphasize that education and avoiding getting caught in an avalanche is the best plan; rescue is a backup in case everything goes wrong.
- Provide skills and practice methods to be proficient at the Avalanche Rescue standard
- Demonstrate effective companion rescue.
- Promote a culture of routine avalanche rescue practice and attendance of an Avalanche Rescue course every two years.
Pre-course material: 2-hour online material