Avalanche Level 2 & PRO1 Preparation: August 16-19 at Volcan Villarica
Course size is limited to a maximum of 6 participants.
This course is tailored for the advanced and experienced backcountry skier.
This year the course has been reformatted to prepare the participant for successful completion of PRO1 certification.
Avalanche Level 2 Course - Learning Outcomes
- Refresh stability assessment techniques.
- Introduce advanced snowpack tests.
- Facilitate and participate in group discussions focused on evaluating snow stability and creating terrain options to reduce the avalanche risk.
- Form and communicate a personal opinion regarding the primary avalanche concern. Compare this to the public bulletin and/or the expert estimation of the avalanche problem.
- Use pre-trip and post-trip checklists as tools to evaluate the avalanche hazard, to target field observations, and to assess terrain options.
- Observe how the mountain snowpack varies significantly over the terrain. Participants will recognize the challenges and risks associated with extrapolating from limited field observations.
- Prepare participant for the AAA PRO1 progression.
- Develop expertise in the adoption and use of SWAG standards.
1) AAA/AIARE Rescue Companion.
2) Be able to ski tour (on skis or split-board) in excess of 3000 feet per day.
Pre-course material: 4-hour online.
Course Format: 4-day, Friday through Sunday, 8:00 AM-6:00 PM
Cancellation Policy: 60% of the course cost can be refunded up to 30 days prior to the course start. No refunds are provided for cancellations made less than 30 days prior to the start of the course for which you are registered.