PRO1 March 18-22, 2019 @ Tavascan
Professional Avalanche Training 1 (Pro 1)
This course is designed for avalanche workers just starting in the field. You will learn how to work on a team under direct supervision from a Team Lead. This course covers a lot of the important fundamentals of understanding and managing avalanches. Students learn how avalanche work from a more technical understanding. Students learn how to recognize avalanche terrain, travel through terrain and document snow, avalanche and weather phenomena to the US Industry standard. Upon successful completion of a written test and field test students are awarded certification recognized by the American Avalanche Association. SAS is an accredited Professional Program provider by the American Avalanche Association (A3).
- Observe, record and evaluate weather data
- Observe, record and evaluate snowpack data
- Observe, record and evaluate avalanche occurrence data
- Identify analyze and document avalanche hazard factors
- Communicate the avalanche risk between team members
- Identify and apply strategies to mitigate bias to individual and team decisions
- Identify and characterize avalanche terrain
- Travel safely and effectively over snow in mountainous terrain
- Demonstrate basic knowledge of avalanche formation and release
- Demonstrate small party avalanche rescue and response
Marking and Evaluation: 70% total marks are required to pass the course. Specific categories requiring a “categorical pass” of 70% to pass the course include: station weather observations, snow profiles and snowpack tests, and the written exam.
Skills are taught to the standards documented in the Snow Weather and Avalanches: Observational Guidelines for Avalanche Programs in the United States (SWAG 3rd edition).
- Course Manual along with relevant papers are provided
- Rite in the Rain Waterproof Field Book that is used during the course
- Snow Weather and Avalanches: Observational Guidelines for Avalanche Programs in the United States (SWAG 3rd edition).
- Pro 1 Certification upon successful completion of the course
Course Length: 5 days
Student: Instructor Ratio: 5:1