Avalanche Level 2: August 9-11, 2019 @ Las Leñas
This is a CLOSED course for Las Leñas employees. Las Leñas employees need to get permission from their manager prior to register.
The course lead (Andras Vegh) will be providing a fee discount number for the authorized participants.
Las Leñas VIP customers also need to get authorization from Claudio Margaride at Las Leñas Guide Office.
This course is a 4-day course for Aspirant Ski Guides.
This year the course has been reformatted to prepare the participant for successful completion of PRO1 certification.
Avalanche Level 2 Course - Learning Outcomes
- Refresh stability assessment techniques.
- Introduce advanced snowpack tests.
- Facilitate and participate in group discussions focused on evaluating snow stability and creating terrain options to reduce the avalanche risk.
- Form and communicate a personal opinion regarding the primary avalanche concern. Compare this to the public bulletin and/or the expert estimation of the avalanche problem.
- Use pre-trip and post-trip checklists as tools to evaluate the avalanche hazard, to target field observations, and to assess terrain options.
- Observe how the mountain snowpack varies significantly over the terrain. Participants will recognize the challenges and risks associated with extrapolating from limited field observations.
- Prepare participant for the AAA PRO1 progression.
- Develop expertise in the adoption and use of SWAG standards.
Course Format: 3-day, Friday through Sunday, 8:00 AM-6:00 PM
1) AAA/AIARE 1-day Rescue Companion Course.
2) Be able to ski tour (on skis or split-board) and tour as much as 3,000 vertical feet per day.
3) Three antenna avalanche transceiver. Less than 3-year old.
4) Metal shovel with an extendable handle
5) 3-meter Probe.
6) Backpack with avalanche rescue compartment.
7) Snow Saw - https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/snow-safety-and-avalanche-gear/snow-saw-pro-BD1021740000ALL1.html
8) Digital Thermometer - http://a.co/d/8bbKVmp
9) Lexan/Plastic crystal card, metal cards are NOT recommended - https://backcountryaccess.com/product/polycarbonate-crystal-card/
10) 20-30x magnifier - http://a.co/d/2q3ph1P
11) SmartPhone slope angle app - http://wbskiing.com/inclinometer.asp
For AIARE Diploma, AIARE field book, and AIARE Online content select the AIARE Option.
Cancellation Policy: 60% of the course cost can be refunded up to 30 days prior to the course start. No refunds are provided for cancellations made less than 30 days prior to the start of the course for which you are registered.