Avalanche Level 2 for Ski Guiding: September 3-5, 2019 @ Paso Pehuenche
This course is a 4-day course for Aspirant Ski Guides.
This year the course has been reformatted to prepare the participant for successful completion of PRO1 certification.
Avalanche Level 2 Course - Learning Outcomes
- Refresh stability assessment techniques.
- Introduce advanced snowpack tests.
- Facilitate and participate in group discussions focused on evaluating snow stability and creating terrain options to reduce the avalanche risk.
- Form and communicate a personal opinion regarding the primary avalanche concern. Compare this to the public bulletin and/or the expert estimation of the avalanche problem.
- Use pre-trip and post-trip checklists as tools to evaluate the avalanche hazard, to target field observations, and to assess terrain options.
- Observe how the mountain snowpack varies significantly over the terrain. Participants will recognize the challenges and risks associated with extrapolating from limited field observations.
- Prepare participant for the AAA PRO1 progression.
- Develop expertise in the adoption and use of SWAG standards.
Course Format: 3-day, Friday through Sunday, 8:00 AM-6:00 PM
1) AAA/AIARE 1-day Rescue Companion Course.
2) Be able to ski tour (on skis or split-board) and tour as much as 3,000 vertical feet per day.
3) Three antenna avalanche transceiver. Less than 3-year old.
4) Metal shovel with an extendable handle
5) 3-meter Probe.
6) Backpack with avalanche rescue compartment.
7) Snow Saw - https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/snow-safety-and-avalanche-gear/snow-saw-pro-BD1021740000ALL1.html
8) Digital Thermometer - http://a.co/d/8bbKVmp
9) Lexan/Plastic crystal card, metal cards are NOT recommended - https://backcountryaccess.com/product/polycarbonate-crystal-card/
10) 20-30x magnifier - http://a.co/d/2q3ph1P
11) SmartPhone slope angle app - http://wbskiing.com/inclinometer.asp
Cancellation Policy: 60% of the course cost can be refunded up to 30 days prior to the course start. No refunds are provided for cancellations made less than 30 days prior to the start of the course for which you are registered.