Avalanche Level 1: February 22-24, 2019
- Develop a plan for travel in avalanche terrain.
- Demonstrate the ability to identify avalanche terrain.
- Effectively use the decision-making framework to make terrain choices in a group setting.
- Avalanche types and their characteristics.
- Introduction to how avalanches form and release.
- Trip planning and preparation.
- Gathering relevant avalanche, snowpack, and weather observations.
- Avalanche terrain recognition, route assessment, and selection.
- Travel techniques, group management, and risk reduction.
- Teamwork and communication as effective measures to mitigate human factors during each stage of planning and decision making.
Prerequisite: Be able to ski tour (on skis or split-board) and tour as much as 3,000 vertical feet per day.
Online material: Avalanche Science PREMIUM online preparation and post course material.
Course Format: 3-day, Friday through Sunday, 8:00 AM-6:00 PM
For AIARE Diploma, AIARE field book, and AIARE Online content select the AIARE Option.
Cancellation Policy: 60% of the course cost can be refunded up to 30 days prior to the course start. No refunds are provided for cancellations made less than 30 days prior to the start of the course for which you are registered.